Not Miss U
I am pondering this typical beauty pageant type question: "If you had to, which one of your 5 senses would you give up and why?" They say that there are really 7 senses, one being the 6th or ESP, the last one being the sense for sex. Working on the ones that are given, mainly the senses of sight, smell, hearing, touch and taste - one is hard pressed for an answer, this is a beauty contest question, and so I decide that the vision will have to go.
Why the vision? I'm doing reverse reasoning here as I have ready answers for why I won't give up any of the other senses. I know I have this great recall for things that smell good to me, even those that do not. I strongly associate certain smells for people, feelings and things. My sense of smell protects me from danger, as there are certain smells that are too fine in nature that we cannot all identify but sends signals, like our instincts, that we follow whenever we are faced by danger in any circumstance. Besides, it is the very first sense that evolved so I'm going along with the wisdom of that and keep the sense of smell.
My hearing will have to stay. Like my sense of smell, music conjures up a lot of good things to me. I always hear the "Ode to Joy" in my mind whenever I am so filled with happiness. Why, that was the song playing in my mind when my husband proposed to me! And then, classical guitar and piano always conjure up good feelings for me. Brazilian tempos make me think of warm summer nights, thick with the smell of dama de noche, sometimes the fluid movement of water flowing down the river. Feels good. There are sounds like David Sanborn's sax, so earthy and sexy that stirs me deep down. Feels even better. And the wind, the lonely, wuthering sound of the heavens in fury, I love that.
I will not elaborate on the sense of touch but that one has to stay, absolutely. And as I'm obviously a foodie, my sense of taste definitely stays as well. Which brings me now to vision.
Right now I am wearing eyeglasses because last night I discarded the pair of disposable contact lenses I had on, not realizing that I don't have a spare set for reserve. Without them, I feel like everything is in slow motion and unreal, even with my eyeglasses on. I'm sure my faulty vision of +3.00 and +3.25 is much better than some people I know whose grades are over a thousand (which makes them legally blind without corrective lenses). Anyway, I'm sure I did exert my eyes to get myself to this from 20-20. I now recall my parents' warning when I was younger that I should read with proper lighting, etc. etc. Had I known that following would have prevented this somehow, I would have listened. As it is, the next best thing I can do is to tell my kids the same thing.
So right now I'm feeling light-headed, dizzy and ditzy, being without my contact lenses and having to answer this hypothetical 'beauty pageant question'. Hell, if that is what it takes to join a beauty contest - having to answer which one of my senses I will give up and why - forget it! I don't really want to lose any of my senses, so I don't need to answer that question. Besides, I'm kinda too old to be Miss Universe.
Filed Under: Randomly
Why the vision? I'm doing reverse reasoning here as I have ready answers for why I won't give up any of the other senses. I know I have this great recall for things that smell good to me, even those that do not. I strongly associate certain smells for people, feelings and things. My sense of smell protects me from danger, as there are certain smells that are too fine in nature that we cannot all identify but sends signals, like our instincts, that we follow whenever we are faced by danger in any circumstance. Besides, it is the very first sense that evolved so I'm going along with the wisdom of that and keep the sense of smell.
My hearing will have to stay. Like my sense of smell, music conjures up a lot of good things to me. I always hear the "Ode to Joy" in my mind whenever I am so filled with happiness. Why, that was the song playing in my mind when my husband proposed to me! And then, classical guitar and piano always conjure up good feelings for me. Brazilian tempos make me think of warm summer nights, thick with the smell of dama de noche, sometimes the fluid movement of water flowing down the river. Feels good. There are sounds like David Sanborn's sax, so earthy and sexy that stirs me deep down. Feels even better. And the wind, the lonely, wuthering sound of the heavens in fury, I love that.
I will not elaborate on the sense of touch but that one has to stay, absolutely. And as I'm obviously a foodie, my sense of taste definitely stays as well. Which brings me now to vision.
Right now I am wearing eyeglasses because last night I discarded the pair of disposable contact lenses I had on, not realizing that I don't have a spare set for reserve. Without them, I feel like everything is in slow motion and unreal, even with my eyeglasses on. I'm sure my faulty vision of +3.00 and +3.25 is much better than some people I know whose grades are over a thousand (which makes them legally blind without corrective lenses). Anyway, I'm sure I did exert my eyes to get myself to this from 20-20. I now recall my parents' warning when I was younger that I should read with proper lighting, etc. etc. Had I known that following would have prevented this somehow, I would have listened. As it is, the next best thing I can do is to tell my kids the same thing.
So right now I'm feeling light-headed, dizzy and ditzy, being without my contact lenses and having to answer this hypothetical 'beauty pageant question'. Hell, if that is what it takes to join a beauty contest - having to answer which one of my senses I will give up and why - forget it! I don't really want to lose any of my senses, so I don't need to answer that question. Besides, I'm kinda too old to be Miss Universe.
Filed Under: Randomly
Tags: beauty pageant, Miss Universe
<< Home