Harvest

I think that the best perk of being young, is being able to take your own sweet time growing up, even if I didn't know it at the time. I guess I was too much in a hurry back then, and wanted to take on the 'real' world, the sooner the better.

Now that I'm all grown up and enjoyed the perks of being young, I hope to strike an equilibrium in midlife, maybe learn and unlearn a few more things, slow it down a bit and linger a little while longer here.

Lately I've been musing about midlife a lot, and admittedly this is becoming an even bigger deal to me now than last year when I was about to hit 40. Is there something in my unconscious that's trying to hit the surface? Is this life's way of getting back for all the time I was in a hurry? Do you mean to tell me that now I want to stop and take time to smell the flowers, the flowers would then be on the other side of the fence? Oh man ...

Who am I to question the workings of nature when I know that God, in His infinite wisdom already took care of such things? I know there are no accidents in life and things happen by design, at least that much I've learned in all the years I've walked this earth. So, do I detect a little wisdom here? I certainly hope so.

I must admit that going the fast lane earlier on made me miss out on smelling some of the flowers. Oh, the stories I have to tell! But then, I'd rather be blustering about in generalities here, lest I get bogged down with the details. Suffice it to say that I'm living out a good progression, gathering the fruits of lessons learned from past mistakes.

Fruits, flowers, there are plenty of them in life. They're not only good to look at, but can really be enjoyed. Savor them and take the time out to care. Yes, chilling out may have been unheard of for me back in the day. But then, it's never too late to start. And these are the things I am enjoying right now -- the calm and harvest of midlife.

Filed Under:
Tags: midlife