Dreams

I woke up this morning having a very clear remembrance of the dream I dreamt last night. It was vivid and in color.

I was driving along a gravel road on the edge of a winding cliff, looking down at a body of water where I saw, afloat on its back, a sandy-colored wooly mammoth creature, smiling and waving at me. This creature was so huge and sprawled out like an island, and there were random white spotted elephants (that reminded me of Dumbo, et al) perched on it, happily waving too. I drove on.

Suddenly it turned static and got several hues grayer, like the way television goes awry when the cable antenna gets disconnected. I came upon this place where I saw this antique china cabinet that had one door slightly open. In it was a stack of old pieces of paper the size of credit cards, with brown, faded ink writing on them. I pulled one out and saw it had a picture of me wearing an old favorite blue knit top. The picture was blurred and scratchy but looked and felt ( ? ) fine to me. It was talking in the way pictures would in the Harry Potter movies, with no sound, like the one of Sirius Black, and it was very animated. Then I left.

Suddenly I was back home (in the house where I used to live) but soon rode my car and asked my driver to drive until we reached this place where I got off. I walked into this dark, dingy stall, a squalid restaurant perhaps, with faded and peeling-off seagreen paint on the walls. I asked something of the woman who was there and she said that she was serving sanmas and hammerthead sharks for lunch. I saw this basket lined with banana leaves on the slatted wooden counter that had things on it. These were ball-shaped cookies or bread, and they were very soft. I took out a few pieces and guiltily swallowed each one without chewing. at this point, I realized I was breaking my Southbeach Diet, freaked out and woke up.

In Jungian analysis, the dream is a very important diagnostic tool because it is an impression that comes from the unconscious and is not modified by any conscious wishes or desires on the part of the dreamer. Our dreams give a view of our "inner lives" which we all experience to greater or lesser degrees. These may be hard for others to comprehend but for us, self understood and that is why it is so rarely shared.

Our dreams may entertain us, or they may even scare us. They can be hilarious and so far fetched from our reality, but they definitely have a lot to do with us. It's all very well to examine our dreams, it may be a fascinating journey to learning more about ourselves, but more than anything, like a wise old guy once said, an examined life is even better, it is worth living.

So what was I saying? Ah yes, I dreamt in color last night. It was a very vivid dream ...

Filed Under: