Slow And Steady

Yesterday while at work, I went to the optical store to get me a pair of reading glasses -- that, after I realized that I would enjoy the book I was reading more if I didn't have to hold it too far away from my face. I tried on some lenses and it turns out that I needed 1.25 prescription glasses to be able to read normally.

Not really a big deal, I'm sure, except to myself. It's like along the alley of finding a few more strands of gray hair that weren't there before, trying to cut down on sugar for the sake of taming blood-sugar levels and not for beauty, taking calcium pills to fortify the bones, and hearing 80's music, thinking it so yesterday, before you get jolted by the fact that 'yesterday' was 20 years ago. That sort of thing.

No fair, nobody warned me! Then again, I thought of all the things that happened along the way to here and I definitely don't recall having taken many shortcuts. I lived each day to the full and eventually progressed to mellow out to the steadiness of now, and still looking forward with great curiosity on how things are going to turn out tomorrow.

Watching my 18-year old daughter, I can only imagine what she does with her days. And being her mother, I'm sure I have the authority to make recommendations and give warnings on certain situations she's bound to encounter in her newly-adult life. Then again, if she's old enough to watch whatever movie she pleases, I'm sure she can travel her journey on her own, with me and her dad just looking at the sidelines and cheering her on. To arm herself with the necessary tools to get her by in the grown up world is tough, and I don't envy my daughter this. I can only hope that she does so with wisdom, grace and endurance.

Me, I'm not in a hurry, I'm only beginning. Life begins at 40, as they say. And then I have all these little everyday preoccupations that keep me going, and that's life enough for me.

Filed Under: