Saturday Night

I woke up in the middle of sleep half an hour ago. I had to bring the dog out for water and I haven't gone back to sleep ever since. I wish I had cigarettes on me now, but I don't. I just have to shake it off my head because I'm not about to go out and buy.

Funny that I'm here, at home, in front of my computer at the height of Saturday night. Not that I'd rather be anywhere else. I remember countless Saturday nights, that merged into Sundays that I would be out and go back home just before the sun comes out and I'd be so beat and bereft of stamina, unlike the joggers I would see on the road. It was okay at the time, I had fun, but I eventually got tired of the partying lifestyle, really. I mean, I loved going out a lot but that didn't mean I hated being home.

I could very well imagine what goes on in my former favorite haunts at the moment. It's a little past 3 so everybody must have a good buzz going from the vodkas or martinis which probably started at 10ish. The people remaining would either soon call it a night or move on to the next club. One thing for sure, there would noticeably be increased activity in the restrooms. You go in and hear snorting and blowing of noses, if not barfing the heads off. I hate that. And there are those who are even less discreet and actually go about doing their blowing and barfing outside the cubicles. And I hate that even more.

At this point you just want to observe the way people walk and talk and make a mental note of who seems more loaded (unless you're too dunk or loaded to notice that you are the most drunk and loaded yourself). Some nights you are lucky and treated to a spectacle of a drunken fight or seeing people out together who are not supposed to be together . Sometimes you see people who persist to party until they cannot handle it anymore and are making fools of themselves. Now that is pathetic, just as it is to be up and watching all of that happen. You see, at this time of day, what else could be one's preoccupations, really?

Anyway, I really don't understand the drug culture of late. It seems that people moved from ecstacy to blow. In my observation, people who tripped out on E were steadier and more relaxed than those who were wired from blow. And then those who blow kinda want to make it very obvious that they do. Hmm. The ecstacy crowd, I remember, just wanted to chill in one place, or dance...

Anyway, it's almost 4 and I'm here, thinking about these things and Saturday nights. I've been waken up by my dog, it's true, but I don't mind. After all, I'm just here at home, a few steps away from my bedroom, and there is no place I'd rather be than here. Never mind that I don't have cigarettes.

Filed Under: