A Very Merry Un-'Ber' Day
While out doing my thrice weekly produce shopping at the Farmer's Market earlier, it just struck me that my favorite stall owners, these people that I buy from and have conversation with each outing, are considered my friends. I mean, I'll certainly say hi, at the very least, if I should see them outside of the market. This would be highly unlikely, however, in Zeny's case.
Zeny, my favorite vegetable supplier, is this workaholic all caught up with her beloved veggies, and I know for a fact that she only takes 5 days off in a year, namely: Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, All Soul's Day, Christmas and New Year's Day. I teased her that today is finally the 'bers' (you know, September, October, November and December), the first day of the last trimester, which gets her pretty close to her next day off on November 1. She found that really funny, Zeny, and she joked about doing her Christmas shopping on that day (all malls and business establishments will be closed then) so she'll not have to worry about presents to give out on her next day off, which is Christmas. There's really nothing wrong with light banter to bring a smile in the morning, and for Zeny to generously throw in some salad components (romaine lettuce and arugula) into my shopping cart, gratis.
So, much as I'm not likely to encounter Zeny anywhere outside of the Farmer's Market, I share her lightheartedness on account of the day, as many Christmas loving Filipinos will agree with me. September 1st ushers in the cooler, happier days, leaving behind the drudgery, particularly of this too rainful August, and it will not be uncommon to hear christmas carols being played in the malls and radio stations beginning today. I guess, when it comes to Christmas, I remain childlike and incorrigible, as it poses a promise of good things to come, even years and years after my wishful 7-year old's sentiment.
With the sun full-on like a summer day, nothing can be more un-September 1st-ish, when days would normally be cool and overcast. But regardless of the uncharacteristic heat and sunnyness of the past few days, I'm just being glad, as I realize that there's always a lot to be glad about each morning you wake up. A day added to your life is a day spent with your loved ones. A day to be productive, is a day you do your bit for the good of all concerned. It's a good day to see your sick mother feeling better, the best time for sneaking in a few chapters of a really good book while waiting at work, really just a good day for anything. As you can see, I'm having that kind of day, and I'm not in a hurry to get done. Nice.
Filed Under: Seasons
Zeny, my favorite vegetable supplier, is this workaholic all caught up with her beloved veggies, and I know for a fact that she only takes 5 days off in a year, namely: Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, All Soul's Day, Christmas and New Year's Day. I teased her that today is finally the 'bers' (you know, September, October, November and December), the first day of the last trimester, which gets her pretty close to her next day off on November 1. She found that really funny, Zeny, and she joked about doing her Christmas shopping on that day (all malls and business establishments will be closed then) so she'll not have to worry about presents to give out on her next day off, which is Christmas. There's really nothing wrong with light banter to bring a smile in the morning, and for Zeny to generously throw in some salad components (romaine lettuce and arugula) into my shopping cart, gratis.
So, much as I'm not likely to encounter Zeny anywhere outside of the Farmer's Market, I share her lightheartedness on account of the day, as many Christmas loving Filipinos will agree with me. September 1st ushers in the cooler, happier days, leaving behind the drudgery, particularly of this too rainful August, and it will not be uncommon to hear christmas carols being played in the malls and radio stations beginning today. I guess, when it comes to Christmas, I remain childlike and incorrigible, as it poses a promise of good things to come, even years and years after my wishful 7-year old's sentiment.
With the sun full-on like a summer day, nothing can be more un-September 1st-ish, when days would normally be cool and overcast. But regardless of the uncharacteristic heat and sunnyness of the past few days, I'm just being glad, as I realize that there's always a lot to be glad about each morning you wake up. A day added to your life is a day spent with your loved ones. A day to be productive, is a day you do your bit for the good of all concerned. It's a good day to see your sick mother feeling better, the best time for sneaking in a few chapters of a really good book while waiting at work, really just a good day for anything. As you can see, I'm having that kind of day, and I'm not in a hurry to get done. Nice.
Filed Under: Seasons
Tags: Farmer's Market, September
<< Home