The Strange Month

'Are you all set for the prom tonight?' This, I asked my daughter over breakfast. 'It's really no big deal mom. You know I really have no interest in those things', she went as she intently spread hummus on a bagel chip, really more interested with breakfast than her own prom night. I chuckled at her boredom. My daughter the strange, I thought to myself.

She is turning 17 at the end of the month and I think to myself, what is it with February people that makes them so ... different? My mom told me once before that there's bound to be something not quite normal with February-borns because a few days are lacking to the month. I really do not see the connection although when I come to think of it, there's really something peculiar about people whose birthdays fall under that month. And then I must have been absent from school when they explained the reason why there are only 28 days in the month, and 29 on the fourth year. Not that I don't like it because Feb, for some reason, feels like a long week-end to me.

So today, February 1st, is the Chinese New Year, the first day in the Year of the Goat, a year supposed to be kinder and mellower than the previous. Two weeks from now is Valentine's, a day that had seemingly lost its magic, save for those who'll be making killer profits off of chocolates and flowers. And then there would be the birthdays of a few quirky people I know. Then at the end of the month is my daughter's birthday. And I have all these days marked in my calendar, all for February, the strange month.

Filed Under: