22,280

She probably needed to think up an occasion to gather all her children, so that last night, my mother hosted her 61st wedding anniversary with lechon, minus her co-celebrator.

I recall how it was back then when my mother ceased to function for two years when my father died, sometime after their 34th year anniversary. But then, this isn't really all about dad, who had passed on 25 years ago, but rather about marriage, and vows, and commitment, which in my mother's case was obviously sealed through and through.

I wouldn't have minded if she had married again, I, admittedly lacking on sentimental loyalty to my father's memory, and even mildly spiteful for having been orphaned too early by him. In that sense I remain the teenager that reluctantly grew up, that didn't have a father to introduce to her then future husband. The truth is I just miss him, and regret that he was the grandfather my daughters never knew.

I was just thinking how 61 years of memories -- because my mother did not really cease to think about my father when he died after their 34th -- translates to 732 monthsaries, or even more, a whopping 22,280 days of commitment, or sentiment. And I tend to believe that there isn't a day that passes that mother does not think of him.

Actually I'm awed. Also I'm grateful to have my own 21 years of marriage to be leaning back on. Mother's dedication may be a tough act to follow, but she certainly sets a good example. And my dad, even if I think that he left us all too early, was really worth her devotion. Incidentally, I get to see more and more of him in my husband over time, which makes me think that something good happens to me everyday.

Filed Under: