'Thanks, I Don't Smoke Anymore'
The way to get me to go to a party, recluse that I am, is to call me a few hours, not days before, to tell me and not ask me, to leave me no choice but to say yes, and leave me no time to change my mind to find an excuse to back out. And so it was that I went out the other night ( on a rare appearance, my friends call it ) upon my friend Jay's prodding, to go to a birthday party for another close friend, which was held somewhere 5 minutes from where I live. Fine, I thought, I can french leave and be asleep in 10 minutes.. You see, it's all about sleep for me, which I'm inclined to do early, often at 9pm.
It was a reunion of sorts because the people invited are not people I'm likely to see everyday, not even once every 6 months. The joy of it is that I, in a way, 'grew up' with them, these girls and gays, these beauty queens and colleagues in the modelling thing and that phase in my life.I knew them from back in the day, these people who haven't changed in look and attitude, which, mostly, is a good thing. And then I hear from them I'm exactly the same person, except for my new look with cropped hair ( which they absolutely love ), that must have worn well with an ancient poet shirt, and hoop earrings big enough to go around the wrist. Of course, mutual admiration gushing is never an exercise in futility, for it brings about a lot of good vibes, and seems oblivious to a little extra poundage. Love it.
When you go to a party of queens, expect to see beauty and a lot of noise, with laughter and conversation peppered with kids stories, men, diet, gossip, make-up, husband ( in that order ), and is really all too much fun. And even if I used to think that I do not think like the average female ( see, I went through that "I'm different" phase, just to show how regular I really am ), I fully appreciate that I have all of them to count on as co-journeyers, support group and resource people I can ask about even the smallest, complicated, isolated detail in life, because it always turns out that at least one would be an expert on the subject. Thankfully, Jay Lozada ( my sister, an artist and the one I have the most in common with ) was there and Jeffrey Jeturian ( a critically acclaimed film director ) too, and we promised to do coffee on Saturday so we can exchange on books and movies and catch up on even older times.
So what did I learn? Plenty. Mostly is that I shouldn't be absent on the next reunion because I'm gonna miss out on the class picture, and I will be the preferred topic for laughter and sport, for sure. Oh, how silly we all are.
Filed Under: Randomly
It was a reunion of sorts because the people invited are not people I'm likely to see everyday, not even once every 6 months. The joy of it is that I, in a way, 'grew up' with them, these girls and gays, these beauty queens and colleagues in the modelling thing and that phase in my life.I knew them from back in the day, these people who haven't changed in look and attitude, which, mostly, is a good thing. And then I hear from them I'm exactly the same person, except for my new look with cropped hair ( which they absolutely love ), that must have worn well with an ancient poet shirt, and hoop earrings big enough to go around the wrist. Of course, mutual admiration gushing is never an exercise in futility, for it brings about a lot of good vibes, and seems oblivious to a little extra poundage. Love it.
When you go to a party of queens, expect to see beauty and a lot of noise, with laughter and conversation peppered with kids stories, men, diet, gossip, make-up, husband ( in that order ), and is really all too much fun. And even if I used to think that I do not think like the average female ( see, I went through that "I'm different" phase, just to show how regular I really am ), I fully appreciate that I have all of them to count on as co-journeyers, support group and resource people I can ask about even the smallest, complicated, isolated detail in life, because it always turns out that at least one would be an expert on the subject. Thankfully, Jay Lozada ( my sister, an artist and the one I have the most in common with ) was there and Jeffrey Jeturian ( a critically acclaimed film director ) too, and we promised to do coffee on Saturday so we can exchange on books and movies and catch up on even older times.
So what did I learn? Plenty. Mostly is that I shouldn't be absent on the next reunion because I'm gonna miss out on the class picture, and I will be the preferred topic for laughter and sport, for sure. Oh, how silly we all are.
Filed Under: Randomly
Tags: Jay Lozada, Jeffrey Jeturian
<< Home